How does this affect the ocean?
- Think of the ocean as a bowl
- Remember that the objects in these containers degrade and chemically affect the ocean
- What does this mean for economics of goods?
- Why are they not responsible for retrieving their lost goods?
- Who ultimately pays for the loss?
- Who is ultimately affected by these events?
Assimilate this information into what you know about being a stakeholder, the effects of algae, and what we found under the microscope.
News Video and Article:
Florida is experiencing a “wicked” problem that includes social, economic, political and environmental components.
The Everglades is drying up, the sea level is rising, the freshwater resources are being depleted by urban areas and other states, and polluted Lake Okeechobee waters are washing into the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.
Articles describing the death:
Comprehensive powerpoint from Florida Oceanographic Society explaining the full “wicked” problem: